River activities are fantastic for families. The combination of being outdoors, exploring the path unknown, having a water fight and taking on Mother Nature brings out the best in families. You may be surprised to see how your family members will look after each other on the river and how proud your kids will be of the challenges you conquer together.
Value for Money
When you come rafting with KRS, we provide you with a full day of entertainment. You don't need to worry about scheduling other activities, and we provide everything you need for a great day out. We will pick you up from your accommodation in Taupo in our comfortable, well maintained vehicles. On the ride to the different rivers you will travel through beautiful NZ scenery, at times going where very few other travellers go. We have facilities at the river with changing rooms, toilets and secure storage for personal items, and we provide all personal equipment for safety and warmth on the river. The best bit, the rafting, is fantastic! After the trip you can wind down while having a light lunch.
Which Tour is Best for Your Family?
Families with older teenagers
Your best bet is to raft the rivers with bigger raids. Our best all around tour is the Rangitaiki River. It provides plenty of rapids and waves, yet nothing too extreme that a timid parent or younger sibling can't handle. If the Rangitaiki River is running low or travel plans are taking you South, the Tongariro River is a great alternative. While the rapids here are not as big, there are more of them, and the Tongariro River is known for its amazing scenery.
Families with middle age children (aged 10 to 15)
We still recommend the Rangitaiki River as your best option. The minimum age to raft this river is 10 years old, yet there are plenty of rapids to enterain older kids. The Tongariro River is also a good choice with great scenery and smaller grade 3 rapids.
Families with young children (aged 3 to 10)
The only option for rafting is the grade 2 section on Tongariro River. The rapids here are small enough for younger kids to paddle along. Very small or very young children can simply sit in the middle of the raft and hold on.
KRS Top 5 Family Activities in Taupo
Because we have kids of our own, we know what it's like to be on holiday trying to decide what to do next. Aside from rafting and kayaking, here are some of our favourite things to do.
- Swim at the AC Baths or Taupo Hot Springs. We love both!
- Go for a walk. Our favourite is Spa Park. There is a fantastic flying fox, an exercise course with some different things to climb on and walking trails along the Waikato River. Second favourite is out to Whakamoenga Point. It's a beautiful trail along the lake with a surprise ending at some amazing rocks. Bring togs to swim along the way.
- Jet boating with Rapids Jet - Because Simon drives jet boats part time for Rapids Jet, our kids regularly get to go for a ride. It's an awesome experience!
- The Edge Climbing Wall - All kids love to climb, no matter what age. They have all the safety gear and instructors to show you what to do.
- The Creative Cafe - Perfect for the creative souls in the family, and it's easy to do. Great on a rainy day or when you need a break from the sun.